Architecte: René Fréchet, de Moncton
Début de la construction: 1922
Dédiée par Mgr Leblanc de St-Jean le 16 août 1922
Extérieur terminé en 1923
Intérieur teminé en 1929
Ouverture au public en 1930

Construite en 1922 par « Moncton Builders, limited »

 

 

 

 

 

 

It is built on a site donated to the Acadians by the Dominion Atlantic Railway. It was built by the Société Nationale de l'Assomption over a period of eight years. It cornerstone was blessed in 1922 and in 1923 the exterior was completed. In 1930 the interior of the chapel was finished and the historic museum opened to the public. The Memorial Chapel has never been used as a church. It has served as an historic museum.

This chapel is in no way a replica of the St-Charles des Mines Church. Unfortunately we don't have any documentation describing the Grand-Pré church. However one can assume that the original church was 2 to 3 times larger than this memorial church. Indeed the 5th of September 1755 the original church was the prison of 418 Acadian men and boys.